A Local’s Guide: the Highest Distillery in the World
10.18.2017 // by Nicole DeCesare
Sitting at 9600′, Breckenridge Distillery is the highest distillery in the WORLD. Pretty cool, right? They even blend water from the Rocky Mountain snowmelt into their booze for “mineral infused perfection.” Whether you’re a bourbon snob, whiskey drinker, rum kind of guy (or gal), gin fanatic, or a strict vodka drinker, this place seriously has it all.
From their signature Straight Bourbon blend to the Chili Chile Vodka, and down to the coveted “single barrel” never-to-be-created-again concoctions, your taste buds will be jumping for joy. Cleanse your palate and get ready to do some tasting, Breckenridge style.
Take a Tour
The distillery offers tours every day of the week during retail business hours of 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. They currently run every half hour on the :00 and :30. We highly recommend taking a tour, especially if this is your first time here. You get a behind the scenes look at the entire operation and you’ll leave feeling like a master distiller. Not to mention that the tour includes a complimentary tasting of their award-winning Bourbon, Classic Vodka and Gin. Convinced yet?
We had the pleasure of taking a tour with Galan (pictured above). He was very knowledgeable, super cool, and an absolute riot. If you get to take a tour with this guy, you’re in luck! We did the normal tour/flight deal for $10 and also paid a little extra to upgrade the experience that included a wider array of tasters. We tried basically everything they had. Here are our favorites:
Breckenridge Blend of Straight Bourbon Whiskeys
- Taste: SMOOOOOOOOTH. Warm, pronounced aromas of under-ripe banana and brown sugar with subtle, spicy notes of white pepper and toasted sesame.
- Fun Fact: This bourbon has won 14 awards. Yeah, 14! Definitely a must-try here. It has the highest rye content on the market. Straight from the barrel.
- **If you enjoy this one, try the Distillers 105 High Proof Blend.
- Taste: Fragrant. Delicate floral notes layered throughout the profile. The juniper body is balanced with notes of bright citrus and complimentary spicy undertones.
- Fun Fact: It has been deemed “the Gin for people who hate Gin.” Give it a shot.
Breckenridge Vodka Chili Chile
- Taste: Smoky. Turkish Chili meets Colorado-grown Pueblo Chili to bring you a worldly taste on the palate.
- Fun Fact: Mix this with Breckenridge 9600 Bloody Mary Mix and you will be hooked. The BEST bloody mary we have ever tasted.
- Taste: Exquisite. The bitters strike a remarkable balance of alluring aromatics, herbal and bittersweet flavors. Some swear that it starts off sour and turns sweet, and others say it goes sweet to sour. Try it for yourself!
- Fun Fact: Won Best in Show at the 2014 New York World Wine and Spirits Competition. We aren’t surprised.
This entire experience was a BLAST. It’s the perfect idea for a date night, family outing, “Sunday Funday”, and much more. Click here for more information.
Take an After-Hours Tour
Looking for a more exclusive and in-depth experience? Book a VIP after-hours tour with a group up to 20 people and go explore! You will also learn a more detailed explanation of the history and science behind their products. Even sample unique products that they do not sample with the public (definitely our favorite part).
Up to 10 people: $200
Up to 20 people: $300
Click here to register for an After-Hours Tour.
Breck Distillery just recently added on a restaurant which exceeded all of our expectations. They create “New American Cusine with a Spirited Twist.” Let us tell you, the food is absolutely amazing. Go for a drink, but stay for the food. It’s an upscale experience that will stay with you long after you leave Breck. This is something you will want to re-create every time you come back. Here are our favorite food and craft cocktail choices:
- Melt-in-your-mouth-good. Korean inspired with Bulgogi, peppers, and scallions. Must try.
- Because meat and cheese, duh. It’s honestly the perfect appetizer that everyone is sure to enjoy.
Chicken Liver Mousse
- Smooth and complex mousse with rhubarb, granola and toast points. We know it sounds weird, just trust us.
- Perfectly cooked brussels sprouts with hazelnuts and an apple and maple glaze.
- Breckenridge Gin, lemon, honey, orange bitters. Prohibition Era cocktail balanced with citrus and honey.
Obi-Wan Old Fashioned
- Breckenridge Bourbon Port Cask Finish, in-house whiskey bitters, orange zest, brandied cherry. The Old fashioned way to make a cocktail, spirit, sugar, bitters, and water.
- A touch of tart and sweet. Breckenridge Pear Vodka, Teakoe watermelon tea, citrus, cranberry bitters, citrus sugar oil.
Now that you have the inside scoop about the highest distillery in the world, what are you waiting for? Do your taste buds a favor; schedule a tour, make a dinner reservation, and create memories with friends that will not be forgotten… unless you “accidentally” have one too many 😉
Special thanks to all of the staff at Breckenridge Distillery (especially Galan) for taking time out of their night to humor us while we did some “research”. You were all so hospitable, knowledgeable and friendly. Until next time!